Breast Cancer Rehabilitation
Breast cancer survivors who have undergone various treatments may continue to suffer from different impairments during their road to recovery. Did you know that physiotherapy can help?
Your doctor may refer you for a pre-surgical screening evaluation which records useful information such as your posture, upper limb range and strength, your activity level, goals and work related demands. This is also an opportunity to start an exercise programme which will help speed up recovery after an operation, and have your Prohealth Asia physiotherapist explain what to expect during the post-surgical rehabilitation phase.Book An Appointment
Physiotherapy alleviates the common side effects of breast surgery such as:
- Adhesions and scarring of the soft tissue
- Swelling in the arm and chest particularly when lymph nodes have been removed
- Restriction in movement of the neck, shoulders and chest areas
- Loss of strength in the upper limb
- Cardiovascular deconditioning
At Prohealth Asia we offer a Breast Cancer Rehabilitation Programme which takes 4-6 weeks, plus the additional services of a nutritionist and clinical psychologist to support the healing of both body and mind.
To provide the best care a detailed history and evaluation of your cancer care pathway is undertaken followed by a thorough physical assessment. This information forms the basis of your individualized treatment programme and helps you identify both short and long-term goals depending on your lifestyle needs.
SUBSEQUENT SESSIONS INCLUDE:
- Graded physiotherapy techniques to improve loss of joint range, increase localized muscle strength and work on core stability
- Mobilization of scar tissue and desensitisation techniques for neurogenic pain
- Management and educational advice on dealing with lymphedema
- Exercise prescription to improve endurance and general lifestyle advice
- Access to a nutritionist to advise on how best to help your body recover
- Access to a clinical psychologist for stress management or counseling